ESONET - European Seas Observatory NETwork. Network of Excellence (NoE). Periodic activity report : version #1 15 april 2010
|Ref.||Project contract n°036851|
|Author(s)||Puillat Ingrid1, Lietard Cecile1, Rolin Jean-Francois1|
|Affiliation(s)||1 : Ifremer, France|
|Abstract||The Network of Excellence ESONET will enter its final year.
During the first year, the main ESONET working groups were formed and the objectives of the various themes identified. Embryos of regional groups were also put in place, more or less active depending on the nodes while the main partners successfully put the project preparatory phase of large European research infrastructure EMSO-PP in place.
Activities during the second year relied on that organization. The main objectives of this period were focused on:
- Increasing the level of integration in the regional nodes, encouraging the participation of partners associated with the nodes in ESONET, for example by encouraging the submission of proposals for the 2nd call for demonstration missions.
- Encouraging the integration between the ESONET nodes, for example by preparing a more formal call for the exchange of personnel. WP officials also made efforts to increase participation in activities of their WP.
- Stabilizing groups formed, by starting the preparation of a permanent structure (VISO)
- Developing a long-term strategy for implementing the proposed recommendations.
- Selection of 6 demonstration missions established on 7 nodes and covering the main themes of seafloor observatories: LIDO addresses the monitoring of marine mammal acoustics and geophysics, DM MARMARA addresses the earthquake risk in a sensitive region, LOOME is interested in the functioning of a mud volcano with both geophysical and biological aspects, MoMAR addresses the functioning of a deep hydrothermal vent using a multidisciplinary approach, MODOO addresses long-term biochemical functions at the Porcupine (PAP) site in the North Atlantic, while AOEM will monitor physically and biochemically Fram Strait.
- ESONET activities have been amplified during the third period compared to those of the previous year.
- The six demonstration missions involve an important activity for the partners involved. The types of activities vary depending on the phases of operations.